Saturday, October 10, 2009

I Went Walking by Sue Williams

This is the story of a young boy who went for a walk and gradually assembled a colourful group of animals that follow him throughout the story. The simple, predictable, and repetitive text makes this a very popular book with toddlers and preschoolers alike. The illustrations are beautifully delicate watercolours and easily capture the playfulness of the story. The book is available as a board book, paper back book, and large lap sized book. You can also get the book in Spanish as well as English. The only drawback to this book is that the style of the text is very close to that of the book "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" by Bill Martin Jr. & Eric Carle. An excerpt from "I Went Walking" is "I went walking. What did you see? I saw a pink pig looking at me." For those of you who know the Brown Bear book this should sound hauntingly familiar! Overall "I Went Walking" is a great book. It was originally published in 1989, so it's not available at all book store sources. However you can find it at http://www.amazon.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment