Sunday, October 17, 2010

I'm Not Afraid of This Haunted House by Laurie Friedman

What more could you ask for from a Halloween book than pictures of ghouls, howling werewolves, and ghosts? The hero of the story, Simon, tries to convince his friends that he is brave and definitely not afraid of a haunted house. In rhyming text he proclaims, "I'm not afarid at the Vampire Feast. I can handle these blood sucking beasts! I bare my neck and face my fate. I help myself to a dinner plate. I'm Simon Lester Henry Strauss, and I'm not afraid of this haunted house." Simon continues to explore the creepy house and keeps telling his friends that he's not afraid, until the very end when he encounters a ......mouse. This is a fun and engaging book that lets children know that even the bravest person can still be afraid of something. This has been a big hit with my preschool crowd!

No comments:

Post a Comment